Friday, March 2, 2007

Propelled by the Sensational?

Ravi Zacharias in his book Jesus Among Other Gods, quotes Elizabet Barrett Browning. Here is the poem. I think it's called Propelled by the Sensational:

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
But only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Zacharias says this reminds him of Moses and the burning bush. He says, "God's inexhaustible presence graced those occasions with brilliant and awesome splendor. How inconceivable was the loss for the people when the signs became the ends in themselves and the One signified the means. The special effects became the attraction, and the central figure was obscured. The world of humanity has lived with such blindness, and the mistake has been repeated in virtually every life."

This reminds me of my backpacking trips into the wilderness. I get to play in God's back yard and explore his gardens, and every bush and tree is afire with God. My prayer is that I won't be blind to how and when he works in my life and the life of my family and friends.

No comments: