Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Columbine

Today on my way home I saw a horrible accident on Wadsworth Blvd not too far from our house. Living in Denver brings many joys, lots of fun, and happiness. At the same time, I see the hard side of life. I frequently drive by Columbine High School, as it's only a few miles from my house. Both of our kids would have attended Columbine during the shooting, if we hadn't moved to Memphis. In fact, Tyler knew and went to school with Rachel Scott, one of the girls who was murdered on April 20, 1999. Her father published a book about Rachel called Rachel's Tears describing who she was and some of the things she wrote. Here is one of the poems she penned in her journal:

Jesus, break the strongholds
Tear down the strings of sin
Release me from my pride
Rescue me from these games
Restore me from the hurt
Renew my heart again
Tear down this bondage
Destroy this burden
Give me love, give me peace.
My life, my love, my wants,
My needs, my passion,
My strength, my faults,
My sin, my friends,
My foes, my family,
My all...is now yours.

No comments: