Friday, January 19, 2007

Portland and the Pope

When I travel to Portland, OR I listen to Catholic radio. I like the music (lots of acoustic guitar and Michael W. Smith). The sermons are usually pretty good unless they get too theological. The stuff on the Pope and Mary's redemptive power are not things I believe. I still like the station and we share many beliefs in common. I'm reminded of a story told by Bob Dole about John F. Kennedy that perhaps you might enjoy. Kennedy was Catholic of course and running for President. Being Catholic was a concern to most Americans. The story goes something like this:

John F. Kennedy employed humor to dispose of the religious issue in the 1960 campaign. "The reporters are constantly asking me my views of the Pope's infallibility," he declared. "And so I asked my friend Cardinal Spellman what I should say when reporters ask me whether I feel the Pope is infallible." And Cardinal Spellman said, "I don't know what to tell you, Senator. All I know is that he keeps calling me Spillman."

No comments: