Friday, July 20, 2007

What is man in nature?

For me, being in the outdoors and in God's creation is extremely satisfying. Not only do I see things working together (orderly), but there is harmony with everything you see and peace is everywhere. Unlike the city which is chaotic and often in disorder (the 5:00p rush on I-70 with all its accidents as an example). In some way it makes me long for God.


Moments before I photographed this Columbine flower a bumblebee was mining the nectar. Such a small thing busy with the details of life and feasting at God's table. Am I much more than this compared to the world, the universe?


Looking up from the flower I see the rocks and the moon and it's like you can see into infinity. At least in my mind I can imagine that. While I only captured the moon going down over the rocks with my camera, a few hours before the morning sky was filled with stars. What a world we live in! God gave us the ability to imagine all this and more. We can even imagine God in some way. The bumblebees and animals can't do this, but we see them work in an orderly way and we see the peace and harmony. Pascal writes, "What is man in Nature? Let man re-awake and consider what he is compared with the reality of things; regard himself lost in this remote corner of Nature; and from the tiny cell where he lodges, to wit the Universe, weigh at their true worth earth, kingdoms, towns, himself. What is a man face to face with infinity?"

No comments: