Saturday, July 7, 2007

39 feet?

I enjoyed our trip into Lost Creek. Below Scott is in the campsite getting ready to conquer the trail. I have never in my life seen anyone drink so much water. After a while he just put my water filter in his pack. Good thing too, it's pretty heavy.


On the way back to the car from our campsite on Wigwam Creek, after Harrall and I had hiked for about an hour, we stopped to rest. I asked Harrall how far we had gone. He looked on his trusty GPS and it said 39 feet. I asked him if my "aura" had somehow affected it. He said absolutely not, but he would talk with Doug Pound about it (see Wednesday's post). For some odd reason GPS units don't work around me. Why?


Harrall worked hard to find an answer. The only thing he could suggest was that there weren't enough satellites when we started the trip and it only measured the last 39 feet we walked.


My camera seemed to work pretty good though. I took this photo today of a Columbine in full bloom on Wigwam Trail. There is something about this flower that just captures one's imagination. Perhaps it's the three different colors and the different shapes of the petals, I don't know. But it is a beautiful flower.


I also captured this butterfly on granite rock about 39 feet from the Columbine pictured above. It's a good thing too, because taking your backpack off and then finding your camera in your backpack twice in 39 feet is just too much to bear.

No comments: