Friday, July 27, 2007

The Power of Prayer

This morning at the convention, we held our 5th annual prayer breakfast. Barry Sullivan and I have been planning and organizing this since the beginning. This year we had Shane Battier (NBA basketball player) as our speaker who gave his testimony of faith. He did a very good job and talked about the parable of the talents and how he found purpose in his life. "To whom much is given, much is expected." It was a very good and positive time. We had about 250 people there. Not bad considering it's a business convention and being held at 6:30a.

I sometimes think I'm a little shallow though. Afterwards, I asked Shane how he felt about guarding Carmelo and I invited him to my house for dinner the next time he's in Denver. You would think he has plenty to do when he comes to Denver to play the Nuggets. I did get to know him a little. I had a long conference call with him a month ago about his talk and then we reviewed the morning's events at 6:00a. So, I kinda knew him...right? Anyway, he's a nice guy.

The real joy for me though was praying with Barry after the breakfast. We took several hundred prayer cards everyone had turned in, and we went out onto a private balcony at the hotel and prayed for each request on the cards. This is where we asked God to intervene in the lives of hundreds of people. Here I realized how many difficult and seemingly impossible things there are, which people go through. That is one purpose of prayer. It's God's way of allowing man to intervene in the events of the world. What a privilege.

No comments: