Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Work

I love my job. After 27 years of work at ServiceMaster it would be hard to say I didn't or that I'm not committed. There are times at work however, when politics seem to be the rule of the day. In fact, some say you need to be a politician in order to succeed, as I've been told. I guess it depends on how you define politics but generally I see it as furthering your own agenda over and against someone elses agenda. In other words it's a win/lose game. This is dysfunctional.

I think people need to openly support each other and work on common goals. Turf battles and conflicts should be resolved into win/win solutions. People should frequently and openly discuss and resolve issues that interfere with the businesses' performance. In order to enhance trust in the workplace the culture should re-enforce decision making "by consensus" as much as anything else. I think the rank and file in our company have the needed solutions pretty close at hand. No one has asked them. And people at our company are willing to work together to solve problems and create an environment of mutual support.

When this type of collaboration happens, work is fun. When you think someone's trying to further themselves at your expense, it's not much fun.

No comments: