Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Eternity

I am struck by Ecclesiastes 3:11 "He has made everything appropriate in its time. He has also set eternity in their heart, yet so that man will not find out the work which God has done from the beginning even to the end."

I think this is something that makes us unique. Man is obviously made for thought. Thought is something incomparable. It's interesting that I have control of my thoughts. I think God has given us this unique ability to think ahead and look beyond and contemplate. Pascal writes, "By space the universe embraces me and swallows me up like an atom, by thought I embrace the universe." I can imagine most anything and create worlds in my mind that are extraordinary. Is there more? Evidently so, according to Ecclesiastes 3:11. God has held something back.

No comments: