Thursday, October 2, 2008

Who do you know in Alaska?

Today I called one of my franchise owners in Alaska, Wasilla to be exact. At the end of our conversation, I told him I was pulling for Sarah Palin tonight during the debates. I never liked Joe Biden. At any rate, my franchise owner reminded me about my last visit with him at their facility. They have a second building behind their main facility on the street and on the left side of it is his sister's hair salon. It seemed like a very nice place. He told me today that Sarah Palin is one of his sister's customers, and has been for years while Mayor. He said that his sister and father have known her for years since she was the Mayor. Of course they're very big Sarah Palin fans.

Last summer they invited me to go salmon fishing with them on the Copper River. They said we could use the salmon wheel. "Salmon wheel?" I said. Yes, it's a big wheel that's powered by the river's current. It has big baskets in it that scoop up the fish who are swimming upstream. When the fish get caught in the baskets, they fall out the sides and into holding tanks. The operators of this unique "fishing pole" sit in lawn chairs and watch the fish come in. The timing was wrong for me last August, but next summer I want to do this. It just sounded like too much fun.

No comments: