Saturday, October 4, 2008

Third Flatiron with Tyler

Tyler and I climbed the 3rd flatiron today. We left the house at 5:30a in order to be the first climbers on the 800 ft. route, but it wasn't meant to be. We were second on the route. However, we did pass the guys in front of us because they were so slow. We enjoyed some commanding views of Boulder and the cities along the front range.

On the summit, I took this photo of Tyler with the rest of the flatirons in the background. We had a great time and enjoyed this wonderful, casual climb early on Saturday morning.

Tyler took this photo of me getting ready for the rappel off the summit, which is a bit tricky. There is quite a bit of free air time, not to mention how awkward the first few feet of backing off can be on this descent.

Then, he came over and took this photo of me from right on the edge (notice I am tied in, he was not). He asked me not to tell his mother he took this photo. He assured me he was alright. It was the scariest part of the climb!

To get down safely, you really have to do three rappels. Tyler took this photo of me from the bottom of the first rappel. He had already gone 75 ft. down and was waiting for me. I can't begin to tell you how much fun it is to still be able to do these kinds of things with Tyler. Not sure I could have done it a year ago.

No comments: