Wednesday, October 1, 2008

On prayer

Why is it that when I sin I feel like God is right there watching me, paying close attention to my every thought and action? Yet, when I pray he often seems so far, so distant, and pays no attention. SK says "it still holds that in order to pray in truth to God out of an honest heart we cannot deceitfully hide anything in the secrecy of our being - not that we are trying to deceive God, but we do not have the courage to confide it to him."

I will continue to pray and pray with thanksgiving, because I know he has listened to me. He listens to every trivial thing, no matter how small. What's even more remarkable is that we have the prerogative of being able to talk with God.

SK also asks us to imagine a girl in love. "Which do you think she'll appreciate more, that the beloved remembers her and thinks of her on a Sunday when he's loafing and has nothing to do, or that the beloved has the time to think of her when he is busiest of all and yet without neglecting anything; in the same way prayer to God in the day of need is most cherished and well-pleasing."

No comments: