Monday, May 14, 2007

Reservoir Gulch

Over the weekend Nancy flew to Lexington to see Noelle (who is great with child). With nothing significant on my calendar I decided to hike 5 miles into Reservoir Gulch and spend the night. It's good exercise which I need, the weather was great, and I just wanted to get outside and enjoy the wild outdoors.

My trusty topo map has all these little lines in it. They tell you all you need to know about elevation changes. Elevation changes are important when you're hiking, so it would've been a good idea to take the topo along. No I said, I know the way. I don't need one of those. Yes it's true, I knew the way. I just didn't know how steep it was. The first photo shows my campsite (nice spot huh) !! The second photo is me enjoying my campsite horizontally of course (nice spot huh)!! The third photo is my view (nice spot huh)!! Notice my tent in the lower right hand corner. I barely remember any time spent there.

The good news is, the way out is mostly downhill. I took this photo early Saturday morning on the drive to the trailhead. The deer were grazing near the swollen South Platte River. I still enjoy the outdoors and greatly enjoy God's creation. It is magnificent.

No comments: