Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Flowers of the Inca Trail in Peru

I took over 800 photos on my trip to Peru. I thought it might be good to break it into specific groups of photos for you to enjoy. I decided to start with flowers. I took lots of pictures of flowers. When we arrived in Peru we toured the Urubamba Valley carved by the Urubamba River seen below. This flowering tree attracted hummingbirds by the dozens.


This yellow aster is used by the natives for its yellow color to add to yarn. It's found in all their garments, blankets, and hats. It is probably one of the more common flowers in the lower elevations.


Lupine is everywhere and is called Andian Lupine or Tarwi. It's considered an important crop for its high content of oil.


This looked like babies breath to me but I wasn't really sure. I saw it everywhere along the Inca trail.


I have no idea what this is. The porters who guided us seemed to know but weren't very interested in it.



This cactus flower was brilliant in color, but I couldn't help focusing on the ruins behind it known as Llaqtapata. These ruins were large and interesting. They are the first big ruins you see on the Inca trail.


I have no idea what this tiny flower is but there were many of them on the trail


Here is a flower I thought was barnardesia. I did find out that we arrived too late to see the many jungle orchids.


Here is an unknown flower to me. If you know what this is, I would sure like to know.


Anyone know what this is?  I sure don't.


Calceoloria or ladies feet was seen at higher elevations. They actually look like little shoes.



No comments: