Monday, July 25, 2011

Doubts about God

I like what Crabb said about doubting God. "When our doubts about God create a terror of living like, what will happen tomorrow? Will I be all right? And even rage at God like, Why won't he come through for me as I want him to?, We then turn to others, not to love them, but to demand that they give us something to make our lives pleasant, or least more bearable. Something has to be done, but we can't count on God."

Crabb goes on and says that we might hide our demands of others behind a "veil of civility and kindness," but we have another agenda. Our agenda is, it's all about me and respect me whether I deserve it or not. Our society says and advertising tells us that "I want what I want, when I want it." What could our society value more?

But it's God's grace which frees me from needing to be better than I am and frees me to face what I'm really like without giving up. The shock of seeing the truth about myself enables me to embrace God's grace more fully.

No comments: