Monday, June 7, 2010

Rock art and ruins

I'm back from vacation in Bluff and Southwest Colorado. We toured Canyons of the Ancients, saw several native American dances in the evening in Colorado and then went to Bluff to see the ruins and the rock art, and attended the Indian Arts and Culture Festival. Below my friends Craig, Paul, and Cathy, visiting 16 room ruin on the Navajo reservation. Only half a mile from Bluff but a good 35 minute drive to get there around the San Juan River, it was worth the trip. I thought it was a very unusual sight because it's North facing. Maybe they liked the view, or maybe it was fancy summer home? You have any theories?

Nancy and I brought up some food for dinner, so we all cooked out the first night. It was a little intimidating cooking with Paul, since he was a professional chef. I cast my bread upon the water that night. Of course, my wife said it was soup! I'm such a bad cook, I can't even bring her to a boil. I warned Paul that where there's smoke, I'm cooking!

On one of our hikes we found some great rock art above the town of Bluff, UT. The trick with 1,000 year old art is to figure out what the artist meant, and what was he saying. Maybe a fun thing to do in a future blog would be to show all the rock art I've seen and do an interpretation! Like, "This artist used a strange medium. He painted everything on an empty stomach!" So anyway, we would stand around, look at the rock art, and try to understand the meaning.

A good artist draws the line somewhere. So what do you think it is? I have my theory.

Friday night we climbed up to the top of Comb Ridge and I took this photo of the bluff next to Bluff and in the background you'll see Ute Mountain. The trees in front of the bluff are around the San Juan River. Other than the no-see-ums and their vicious bites, we had a great time. More to come on this trip later!

1 comment:

Kathy Hanson said...

We did have a great trip! Your blog shows it off perfectly. I'm still finding new bug bites... Yes, those critters were viscious!