Friday, February 22, 2008

Disappointment with God

I think if we only really knew, the glories waiting for us, if we only understood the cosmic wager, and even the joy of suffering, we would know why Job died happy. The words "Why Job Died Happy" come from Yancy's book Disappointment With God. "But let Job speak for himself," says Yancey;

I know that my Redeemer lives,
and that in the end he will stand upon the earth.
And after my skin has been destroyed,
yet in my flesh I will see God;
I myself will see him
with my own eyes - I, and not another.
How my heart yearns within me!
Job 19:25-27

Yancey reminds us that Job's comfort was - harsh as this may sound - insignificant in comparison with the cosmic issues at stake. God answered the question, "is anybody out there?"

Surely I spoke of things I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me to know...
My ears had heard of you
but now my eyes have seen you.
Therefore I despise myself
and repent in dust and ashes.

1 comment:

Tim Holler said...

Good stuff. Seems Job's comforters got everything but the point!