Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Who cares about me?

I find it interesting how much we try to put things together for ourselves. The urge to control our own lives and be the master of our own destiny is huge. The problem is, other people are always a disappointment along the way. We think nobody really cares. Sort of like the cactus pictured below, they look nice, but when you get too close you get stuck. What's the matter with people anyway? I think it was Larry Crabb who said, "at some point, it dawns on us that no one provides what we need."  I think we realize that in fact, no one really fully cares about us. No one cares for us with a love that allows us to relax fully, to be ourselves. That leads to despair, or what the Germans call "angst."


It's at that point that God can and will meet us when we're alone, and no one else is there to help, he is able to help. But few people will allow this because we are determined to put our own lives in order, with our own strength. We don't need anyone right?

So when we are in despair, we prefer to see ourselves as wounded in relationships, or asking "what's wrong with me?" The root of the problem, according to Crabb is the focus on handling disappointments "on my own" or have "self-hatred" and all of this without turning to God.  We prefer to see ourselves as wounded. So who does care about me?  Well, God does.

No comments: