Thursday, October 1, 2009

Grand Obsession

My friend Jerry Driesens suggested I read Grand Obsession about Harvey Butchart and the exploration of Grand Canyon. It's written by Elias Butler and Tom Myers. I really liked the book and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys an unusual biography. What made the book special for me was the fact that I knew Harvey Butchart growing up in Flagstaff. He was a math professor at NAU where my father taught. I played chess with him a number of times. And, unfortunately I never hiked in Grand Canyon with him which is what the book is about, his obsession with hiking the trails in Grand Canyon.

The writing style is wonderful, Harvey's life is interesting, funny, and at times very tragic. The approach to it is obviously honest, yet tenderly written without being sentimental. What a great read. You'll be surprised.

No comments: