Tuesday, November 18, 2008

We flip the raft on 209

At the risk of boring you with too much on this Grand Canyon trip, I still have a few more stories to tell you. It was after all, a long trip. The second picture below represents the outcome of the rapids called 209. This one was simpler and much more straight forward than Tuna Creek. At 209, we were sucked into a big hole and the raft immediately flipped over, tossing all of us out and anything not tied down. All other rafts in our party missed it. The good news is, if there is any good news in this, rests in the fact that nothing serious was lost or damaged, save the beverages made in Golden Colorado, one of my neoprene booties, my water bottle, and Paul's "lucky hat." We managed to find a place about a mile down river to flip the boat back over. Much of our stuff was wet, but it all dried out, and none of us were hurt. We were just wet and very cold. Many thanks to Paul Muirhead for pulling me out with his Kayak.




Having suffered this humiliation, we hung our private stuff on ropes, strings, and branches. Thankfully, my down bag stayed dry. The bad news is, it was our turn to cook and do the dishes. Ugh. Looking back though, I can't think of anyone I would rather be thrown out of a raft with than Paul and Gary. They are terrific!!





Below is a photo I took of Parashant Canyon. I got up early one morning and hiked up this canyon for about a mile or so with Gary. It was a beautiful morning. The canyon was supposed to have some prehistoric worms in the rock somewhere. We could never find them.



No comments: