Sunday, November 30, 2008

I got a peaceful easy feelin'

I will leave you with one last thought regarding our trip and then show you a few runs at Pierce Ferry Rapids. One of the last evenings on our raft trip, our trip leader Jerry (pictured below) recited some lines from an old Eagles tune. First of all, you have to know a little about Jerry and our circumstances. He has been battling cancer for quite a few years now and is regularly in for chemo treatments. In fact, he made this trip between treatments! Jerry invited all of us. It was after all, his permit that got us into the canyon. Thank you so much Jerry!!

Then, sitting around the campfire on one of the last evenings. Jerry said the following to us:

and I wanna' to sleep with you
in the desert tonight
with a billion stars all around
'cause I got a peaceful easy feelin'
and I know you won't let me down.

I'm sure this isn't what the Eagles had in mind, but the way I interpreted this was, he really wanted to be with us. And, none of us or God were going to let him down. Thank you Jerry. It was really great!!


Here is Jerry going into the second hole on Pierce Ferry Rapids. The first hole is behind him. It took a little bit of force to pull the front of Jerry's boat up like this.


Here is Trevor going into the big hole on Pierce Ferry Rapids. Believe it or not, he made it through. Others were not so fortunate.


This is our boat on Pierce Ferry Rapids at 12,000 cfs. Paul is rowing and I'm in front with Gary, on his left. Bear in mind this is an 18 foot boat!

No comments: