Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Back from Grand Canyon River Trip

I'm back from my rafting trip down the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon. For all my photos click the photo on the right titled Grand Canyon. However, the trip was not without incident. Here are a few highlights...

1. The boat nearly overturned on Tuna Creek Rapids 7 (after successfully negotiating Hermit 10, Granite 9, and Crystal Rapids 10), but lost Paul, Gary, and one oar overboard, and I had to pilot the boat with one oar through the rest of Tuna Creek 7 and Lower Tuna 6.

2. Boat did flip over on 209 after encountering a very deep hole, all passengers out and swimming including me. Swallowed lots of water. Oars stayed on boat this time but lost drag bag with beverages, one bootie, Paul's sun glasses, and Paul's lucky hat.

3. Video taped a Desert Big Horn sheep in camp only 5 feet from me! (will publish more on this later)

4. Video taped Jerry successfully running Lava Falls first, giving the rest of us some courage. (will publish more on this later)

5. Successfully, and remarkably ran the new Pierce Rapid now exposed because Lake Mead is lower, however I witnessed Val, Chad, and Dorothy flip their raft over and swim for their very lives through a boiling cauldron of churning mud. It seemed like all of them lost at least one shoe.

6. Never found Paul's lucky hat.

No comments: