Monday, August 13, 2007

Tyler's off to Kuwait

Today was more difficult than it was three years ago. When Tyler left for Japan three years ago I think I was so excited and happy for him to have his first major job, and a good one in Japan too, well I couldn't wait for him to get there and relish the new place and the new people and begin to see the world. I wanted to know about it too.

This time, I think I was perhaps a little more selfish. I realized how much I value him and really enjoy his company. I don't necessarily want him living with us (we had him for 18 years) and I doubt he wants to live with us, but I think a few more visits now and then would be better. When your kid leaves the country for a year, you just flat out miss him. He takes things pretty seriously and works hard. I know he'll do a great job and the people of Kuwait are fortunate. We are so very proud of him.

It wasn't until he said the final goodbye to his mother that I kind of lost it. I realized how much she loves him and wants to see him more often. But the good news about Tyler is that he makes real efforts to stay in touch by Skype and keep us informed on what's going on. He's been great that way. We wish you the best Tyler.

No comments: