Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Daughters

Today, I was reflecting on my daughter. What a sweetheart. Young sons are awkward and just evoke pity. But daughters are really wonderful, warm, and sweet. Until they're teenagers. As a teenager I think she really wanted to run away from home. But I know what happened. She would get as far as the door, then the phone would ring!

My daughter grew up mostly in Memphis. After she graduated from High School, she decided to go to the University of Memphis. I remember someone from church asking me what she was taking in college. "Everything I've got!"  The good news is, she studied hard and made excellent grades.  She was a model student in every way.

And then she started looking at boys. Her mother would say "Don't play with boys. They're too rough."
"But Mother, I think I found a smooth one!"

And she sure did. Then, a few years later he said to her "Darling, I'd like to marry you."

"Have you seen my father?"

"Lots of times, but I still want to marry you!"

No comments: