Sunday, August 7, 2011

Reading the Bible

I think that searching for the right doctrine or trying to come up with a way of interpreting what you're reading in the Bible can create problems. If you have to fit it into some system, there is always this illusion that we must first have the doctrine in perfect form before we can begin to live, that is, we never get around to the latter.

When it comes to reading the Bible, I think you can and should read it without a commentary. Would it ever occur to a lover to read a letter from his beloved with a commentary! If I don't understand the language well, then I learn the language, but I don't read the letter with the aid of others necessarily. With the help of God, I can understand it.

SK writes, "In order for one to rely upon a person, one requires that he give his word on it: God likewise has given us his word, his word on it - Christ is the Word." What more is needed? Absolutely nothing.

No comments: