Monday, May 2, 2011

A Prayer of SK

Soren Kierkegaard prays, "Lord Jesus Christ! You endured suffering your whole life in order to save me also, and, alas, your time of suffering is still not over; but is it not true that you atoningly and redeemingly will endure this suffering, too, the patient suffering of having to do with me, I who so often go astray from the right path, or even if I stay on the right path so often stumble on the right path. Infinite patience, infinitely patient suffering! How many times have I not become impatient, wanted to reject, wanted to abandon everything, wanted to take the frightful, easy shortcut, the shortcut of despair, but you did not lose patience. Alas, what your chosen servant said does not fit me: that he completed your sufferings; no, all that fits me is that I increased your sufferings, added new sufferings to those you already suffered in order to save me also."

Another nice prayer of his is: "Teach me, O God, so that I do not suffocate and torture myself in suffocating reflection, but that I may breath healthfully in faith."

No comments: