Tuesday, January 15, 2008

American Politics and Independence

I'm not sure as believers in God it's appropriate to demand too much independence. As Americans we overvalue this trait of independence and associate it with strength and even leadership. Perhaps we could even say political leadership, based on the debates I've seen and what's written in the media. Too much independence is a pause in one's faith and a sudden cessation of dependence upon God. I think what caused Satan to fall was his claim to independence and we could no doubt, point to former political leaders who were slow to seek God's insight. Shakespeare wrote the following in The Life of King Henry The Fifth:

But tell the Dauphin I will keep my state,
Be like a king, and show my sail of greatness
When I do rouse me in my throne of France.
For that I have laid by my majesty
And plodded like a man for working days,
But I will rise there with so full a glory
That I will dazzle all the eyes of France.

The bad news is he says, "I will." Only God can say "I will" in this way. The good news is our character the King later says, "But this lies all within the will of God." And I suppose as soon as soon as an American political candidate exposes his trust in God, he becomes unelectable. The media's bigotry toward a candidate's faith does little more than gratify their desire for continued independence and liberty of censure.

No comments: