Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Why I blog

One of the reasons I am writing this is for my own benefit. Rather than waste time doing things like watching TV or worse yet playing solitaire, I decided it would simply be better to do this. The other reason is it forces me to speak the truth. Not that I have a problem with the truth, but the natural inclination when you write is to make yourself compelling to others. I'm sure all writers want to avoid being boring which can be done by stretching the truth or by writing fiction. If I go swimming, I strip down first. In order to seek the truth you must first strip off in an inward sense. You must take off much more internal attire of thoughts, opinions, selfishness, etc. before you're sufficiently authentic.

Tyler does a good job of this in his blog (other than stories about French dogs and Italian Pigeons). You should check out what he does. I am very proud of him and appreciate the person he has become. The link to his blog is on this page.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andy, i came into the office today and was pleased to see your blog.I dont think i am disciplined enough to do it, but i am glad you are.

For books you should read Blue like Jazz..best book i read in 2006. Also Peace like a River (fiction) anyways..good tohear from you'

Ian

Andy Beal said...

Ian, I already read Blue Like Jazz. It's excellent. I have not read Peace Like a River. See you in Memphis.