Saturday, December 24, 2011

I believe it

Merry Christmas! I believe in it. I believe that God alone brings ultimate satisfaction. It comes from nowhere else. In my thinking, we either live under pressure to grow to be something more to be authenticated and loved by others, or we celebrate His beautiful and breathtaking grace.

Too many people are set in their ways and convinced. They clench their fists and wave at God declaring the same as poet William Ernest Henley, "I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul." And so they move into life determined to survive and do it on their own.

You can see this sentiment exhibited in the lives of wealthy people and even successful actors, actresses, and athletes. There is a familiar sound of arrogance in their attitude, then when difficulty hits, there is a scrambling for a solution and some plan of action. They want something bad to turn into something good. This attitude permeates American culture. We think we have the wherewithal to take care of ourselves. But money won't always cure your cancer or bring your spouse back. God isn't necessarily going to give you a good night's sleep or less anxiety.

People don't want to know God, and when they do, they pursue the satisfaction God provides more than they pursue God. Neither is obtained as a result. We don't want to know God better and knowing him isn't really going to satisfy the need. Rather, we want to use God to get what we want. Fixed ideas like this are like a cramp, in the foot for example. And the best remedy is to step on them.

Knowing God does bring about many blessings and for me he has brought unpredictable times of peace and joy. And one day I know I'll live in an unimaginably wonderful place with unspeakable joy and happiness. So, we should enjoy the blessings when they come and persevere when they're absent and even when all good feelings are gone.

I know that today's advice to follow God is probably weak, but the rich fullness and nourishment of life is only available from God and through trusting him. He gave up all the riches of heaven and in humility came to earth as a child. Then he suffered as the poorest peasant, serving others, healing them, and teaching them about God. Then he was crucified for you and for me. That is the greatest present of all. Merry Christmas my friends!

1 comment:

Kathy Hanson said...

I believe it too, Andy. I love the way you said it. Thanks!