Friday, November 30, 2007

Boondoggles and Freebies

Since all the changes at work, I've noticed a number of things. The first thing of course is that I have a job. That's good. In addition, my position is better and I can work out of my home if I want. The second thing I noticed is boondoggles and freebies seem to be winding down, at least according to some of the first hand stories I've heard. It reminded me of the stories I heard about Fred Thompson when we were in Memphis.

Fred Thompson?? Yes, the Senator from Tennessee arrived in Washington in 1994 shortly after I arrived in Memphis. He brought with him a background of acting in a number of movies and a rapier wit. Early in his Senate term, he said, "I've still got a lot to learn about Washington. Why, yesterday I accidentally spent some of my own money."

No comments: